WHAT IS SUFU?
Speaking Up For Us is a statewide coalition with representatives all over the state who work to support local and statewide self-advocacy organizations to network with each other and with national organizations.
WHAT IS OUR MISSION?
- To help self-advocates keep in contact with each other.
- To assure proper supports for self-advocates and self-advocacy groups in Maine.
- To help people know their rights.
- To support self-advocates speak up for their rights.
WHAT DO WE DO?
- Speak to the Maine Legislature on important issues.
- Teach other people how to speak up for themselves.
- Teach support staff and families about self-advocacy.
- Travel to conferences to present and learn.
- Hold statewide meetings so we can meet new people and get more people involved with important issues.
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
- Sign up to get our mailings for all statewide meetings, conferences, and other gatherings.
- Ask if there’s a self-advocacy group in your area and attend a meeting!
- No self-advocacy group in your area? We can help you start one!
- Plan and hold an annual 2-day self-advocacy conference each Fall
HOW CAN I CONTACT SUFU?